Pictured from left to right: Sienna Wang, Tracy Lu, MingXin Cui, Claire Hosey, Ian Pittenger, Sam Mahler, Aman Thombre, Julie Fleischman, Sam Zhang
Amity Middle School Bethany Students in grades 7 and 8 recently took the New England Math League Contest. The New England Contest consists of participating schools from CT, ME, MA, VT, RI and NH. Contest questions are designed to cover a range of mathematical knowledge for each grade level. Questions on the contests never require any mathematics beyond the grade level tested. The goal is to encourage student interest and confidence in mathematics through solving worthwhile problems. The top 5 school scorers in each grade are:
1. Sienna Wang
2. Mingxin Cui, Tracy Lu
3. Daniel Mao
4. Claire Hosey
1. Julie Fleischman
2. Aman Thombre, Ian Pittenger
3. Sam Mahler
4. Sam Zhang
Individual students as well as grade level teams were entered into the New England Contest. The results from the overall contest are as follows:
- The 7th grade team placed 19th out of 88 schools and 3rd in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- The 8th grade team placed 10th out of 93 schools and 2nd in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Sienna Wang placed 31st in the overall contest.
- Julie Fleischman placed 11th in the overall contest and 2nd in New Haven/Fairfield County.