Seventh and eighth grade students from Amity Middle School in Bethany Students recently took the New England Math League Contest. The New England Math League Contest consists of participating schools from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. Contest questions are designed to cover a range of mathematical knowledge for each grade level. Questions on the contests never require any mathematics beyond the grade level tested. The goal is to encourage student interest and confidence in mathematics through solving worthwhile problems.
The top 5 school scorers in each grade are listed below.
|Grade 7||Grade 8|
|1st Place||Emily Gu
|2nd Place||Alesandro Gopal||Piyush Bahel
|3rd Place||Randy Liu||Anushka Acharya|
|4th Place||Jack Morrison||Henry Yang
Individual students, as well as grade-level teams, were entered into the New England Math League Contest. The results from the overall contest are as follows:
- The Amity 7th grade team placed 9th out of 72 schools and 2nd in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Emily Gu & Iris Yan tied for 21st place in the overall contest and tied for 2nd place in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- The Amity 8th grade team placed 5th out of 31 schools and 2nd in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Deven Huang came in 11th place in the overall contest and 3rd place in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Piyush Bahel & Mingyue Zha tied for 25th place in the overall contest and tied for 4th place in New Haven/Fairfield County.
Pictured standing left to right: Randy Liu, Deven Huang, Henry Yang, Piyush Bahel
Pictured kneeling left to right: Iris Yan, Emily Gu, Jack Morrison, Alesandro Gopal
Pictured sitting left to right: Mingyue Zha, Anushka Acharya