Amity Middle School Bethany Students in grades 7 and 8 recently took the New England Math League Contest. The New England Contest consists of participating schools from CT, ME, MA, VT, RI and NH. Contest questions are designed to cover a range of mathematical knowledge for each grade level. Questions on the contests never require any mathematics beyond the grade level tested. The goal is to encourage student interest and confidence in mathematics through solving worthwhile problems.
The top grade 7 and grade 8 school scorers are listed below:
|Grade 7||Grade 8|
|1st Place||Chris Fournier||Arnav Paliwal|
|2nd Place||Audrey Marin
|3rd Place||Riley Walsh
|4th Place||N/A||Kevin Lu|
Individual students as well as grade level teams were entered into the New England Contest. The results from the overall contest are as follows:
- The 7th grade team placed 29th out of 91 schools and 2nd in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Chris Fournier came in 4th place in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- The 8th grade team placed 2nd out of 90 schools and 1st in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Arnav Paliwal placed 7th in the overall contest after a multi- way tie for first, second and third place. He also came in 1st place in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Hannah Skiba placed 17th in the overall contest and 2nd in New Haven/Fairfield County.
- Josh Feuerstein and Tam Vu each placed 26th in the overall contest and tied for 3rd in New Haven/Fairfield County.
Standing L to R: Hanna Skiba, Josh Feuerstein, Tam Vu, Natalie Furst, Amanda Robinson, Riley Walsh; Kneeling L to R: Robert Farbman, Kevin Lu, Arnav Paliwal, Chris Fournier, Audrey Marin, Grace Ha; Missing from photo: Nick Cui