Board of Selectmen
Joe was elected to the Amity Board of Education in 2003, in the wake of 17 defeated Amity budgets. He worked with that bi-partisan board to rebuild the Amity budget from the ground up, following the zero-base budgeting principles that the Amity Board of Education still employs today. Joe also chaired the building committee that oversaw the $90M renovation of all three Amity school buildings. In his first term on the Woodbridge Board of Selectmen, Joe has persistently introduced a businesslike approach to town affairs.
Joe’s family came to Woodbridge when he was still in elementary school; he attended Beecher and Amity and was recently inducted in the Amity Athletic Hall of Fame. He and his wife, Deirdre “Gremmy” Dey, have three daughters, all also Beecher and Amity graduates.
“Annual budget increases, high taxes and debt burden, reduced property values, complete disregard for historical zoning framework and planned ruination of neighborhoods… No long term strategic plan…Woodbridge needs competent, focused and responsible leadership.”
- Woodbridge Board of Selectmen 2013-present
- Amity Board of Education 2003-2007, Chairman, Building Committee for $90M renovation
- Milford Hospital Board of Corporators
- United Way of Milford Board of Directors
- Principal, Dey Smith Steele, LLC 1985-present
- George J. Smith & Son Insurance Vice President
- B.S., University of Connecticut Business Administration
- J.D., University of Bridgeport School of Law