The Woodbridge Volunteer Fire Department will host a Blood Drive for the American Red Cross on February 28, 2017 at the fire house on 100 Center Road. The drive was to be hosted by Congregation B’nai Jacob but was moved due to a fire in December at the JCC (the JCC childcare program was moved to B’nai Jacob temporarily). For more information and to make an appointment to donate, contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-RED-CROSS or visit redcrossblood.org.
Snowflake Dance and Auction
Save the date! On Saturday, March 11, the WVFA will hold its 18th Annual Snowflake Dance and Auction at the Woodbridge Club, 10 Milhaven Road. This fundraiser supports your volunteer firefighters. Bring your favorite food and drinks; we provide beer, music, and dessert. There is a silent auction with items at all price levels from gift baskets to restaurant gift certificates, and from jewelry to prime sporting event tickets. We’ll take a break from the dining and dancing for an exciting live auction. This year’s live auction items include a 2017 Can-Am DS90 (valued at $3,299) and having a fire truck come to your child/grandchild’s birthday party (priceless). Credit cards are accepted. Tickets are $25 per person or $175 for a table of 8. Gather your friends and have a great night out on the town while supporting your community. For more information visit woodbridgefire.com/snowflake-dance and to donate items, put an ad in the auction book, or purchase tickets call (203) 389-3441 x 100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Punxsutawney Phil says 6 more weeks of winter. Be warm and safe the rest of this season. With a few simple safety tips and precautions you can prevent most heating fires from happening. Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater. Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters. Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed. Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home. Test smoke alarms monthly. For more facts and tips about heating safety visit woodbridgefire.com/heating-safety and follow us on Facebook.com/WoodbridgeFire.